Friday, August 15, 2008

Sabah Adventure Challenge 2008 Part1



Sabah has always been a special place in my heart as this is the place I have my personal retreat last year and I have called it my second home for the longest time. I have loads of friends over there and Kota Kinabalu is probably the place I am most familiar with.


Majestic Mount Kinabalu
From Sutera Harbour to the General Hospital (Of course not because of any medical reasons) and the small towns like Tuaran, Menggatal, Inanam, and Papar, these places that have my footprint of some sort. I LOVE SABAH! That's the word I have told everyone. I spend my entire July 07 in Sabah, Running, Cycling, swimming, training up for the Ironman 70.3 and of course this is also a place where I get my inspiration and my personal peace and reflection.

Part of the Torture Crew, Aman and Gang...hehehe!
So what I did in March, I took time off to head down to Sabah again and have a sufferfest of some sort. I convinced 2 other friends, KC and PS to join the notorious Sabah Adventure Challenge. How good a friend I am right? Ask them and they will tell you stories. So off we left on 20th March at the wee hours of the day at about 4am to 5am and head down to Senai airport and catch the Most Fun! Airline, Air Asia of course to Kota Kinabalu. Road to Senai is smooth and of course my nonsensical trash talk in car distracted the driver and we miss a turn. But of course, with the ever friendly Malaysian Traffic system, we made it on time. Got on the plane and of we go.

Yue En, Michael's Daughter
Arrive at Kota Kinabalu at about 9plus in the morning and got greeted by some familiar faces, Michael Wong and his 2 lovely daughter and of course my beloved aunt. Load up the stuff and head down for the Typical Sabahan Breakfast. Woohoo....I miss it so much. Air is fresher, food is tastier with more flavors and of course the coffee smells more aromatic.

The rest of the day is sleep for KC and PS and for me, Team Mechanic time. I have to set up the bikes and get the equipment ready for the race briefing in the evening.
Stupid Driver that hits Michael's Car (in white, Michael's 4x4)

By mid day, the equipment was all set to go until we discover that KC's Bike Front Tire is no sitting in and we burst 2 tubes. So off we went to the race briefing, hoping to resolve the issue at the race briefing. Meet the team Aman, Claus and the team. KC went out with Michael to check out some bike shops and being a public holiday, all the shops are closed. What makes things worst, they met with an accident and Michael's 4x4 rear got a hit from a Kancil minivan and being Sabah, Michael has to pay the guy a few hundred ringgit. Its so Stupid! But it Sabah. Ah, What the Heck!

Stay tune for more installment as I unfold more hilarious encounter of the Notorious Sabah Adventure Challenge 2008.


Look of the Start Line in the Morning

No comments: