Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The New Steed

This is a very interesting year. A year that I disregard weight, modern technology but went straight back to an all time classic in my choice of bike. Call it back to basic, I started going on a hunt for a steel bike that I truly and surely going to keep it long term in my arsenal of bikes.

My mountain biking love affair started way back in 1992 when I was 16. I was introduced to mountain biking by my then teacher. To cut the story short, we do not have many high end aerospace technology then. Carbon Fiber was available but then it was still in its infancy on the bike development, then there is the cool Aluminium and of course you have Titanium which to a 16 year old boy, the price tag will be too much to bear.

Scion fresh from the package
I was introduced to Chromoly, the steel material that was more common then as it has a very hardy property and beside rust and a little weight issue, it is consider one of the toughest. In fact, I start and went through 2 Chromoly Steel bikes before I migrate to Aluminium. So impressionally speaking, I do have a love; hate relationship with Chromoly Steel. Love the rides and dampening, hates the weight and the maintenance.

Scion, all setup and ready to roll!

I started the year with a good old DN6 steel frame called the On-One Inbred. I was enjoying it for about 3 months. Happily riding it and for a decent time and then, suddenly remembering that this british design bike is a little bit off on the weighing scale (a little of weight-weenie bug in me). So, I started on a quest to hunt for another piece because I know for sure that I will not be happy to keep the On-One Inbred as a potential Heirloom in my bike collection. So, I stumble upon Pipedream Cycles. I have known this brand for five years and was hoping to see some shop in Singapore would bring them in. Finally, a company decided to bring them in and I found them in a local bike shop.


Scion 2nd outing in Mandai

I picked the lighter and more slimmed down version of the Pipedream Steel range. It is called the Scion for the weight and it runs on the Reynold 853 steel which is extremely strong the weight is really good in terms of lightness. I am really satisfy with the whole hunt for the perfect love affair with a steel bike that I know I will hand it down as a heirloom, provided that it survive the punishment of rides that I will be putting it through.

No comments: