Saturday, August 1, 2009

Getting Married....Happy Ever After?

For the last 2 months, I have been invited to 2 weddings and I must say that it is a wonderful experience to share the joy with your friends who are getting married. For me, as I look at some of my friends who are one by one walking down the aisle and then started building a family, one kid, 2 kids and then the third one comes along. I sometime wonder if I will be able to walk down that path with the beaming smile on my face like them.

Yes, I am in a relationship now and yes, I know I want to walk down the aisle with my partner and yes, I want a family. But I sometime wonder, what does a family entails. I have been a son but I have never been a father and to be honest, being a son I have disappointed my father and mother umpteen times that I really don't know when I will ever stop disappointing them. I think perhaps I might have think too far ahead but I am a person who likes to dream and think and then plan. A mentor used to tell me that I have to speak things into existence and that is a firm belief that I can do it and accomplished it.

And now is the role as a husband, can I be a good husband and what benchmark do I take upon? What should a husband do? Where do I stand? But that I guess is what makes all these marriage thing so sweet and happy, is to work hard toward being a good husband through listening, patience, learning, changing, prioritizing, and respect. I know I love the person that I am with now and I know that I want to spend all my time with my partner if I have a choice, I know that right now my life is encircled around her....but that is just the first step....I need to chip off those rough edges that I have build up along the year.

But, my sharing here is something that is from my heart and my situation and perhaps everyone has a different perspective, but life is such, it is really an amazing thing and in fact I must be honest that I am looking forward to that....Marriage....hmmm.....

No comments: